Stories from life at the Smith House

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Galveston

We took a short overnight trip to Galveston. We went to the Festival of Lights at Moody Gardens, the aquarium and of course ate at the Rainforest Cafe. Here are lots of pictures:

We stayed at the Moody Gardens hotel and this was the view from our room, the kids were in awe.



The pyramids are lit up at night, and we could see the Festival of Lights from our room. You can't tell from this picture but it was really pretty:



Caleb's first trip to the aquarium:




At the beginning of the Festival of Lights. It was only -80 out and the wind was blowing 187mph, I don't know why he wasn't enjoying himself.



In the hotel lobby.
Out on the hotel patio:
The only building over the gulf in Galveston (other than the Flagship - below) that's still there. I think this must have been one of the gift shops, I'm not sure. Other than noticing that all of the over the water gift shops are now gone, things don't look any different. I'd imagine that the real destruction is down in the neighborhoods, we stayed along the seawall and down the one street it takes to get to Moody Gardens. Most of the homes down that street had some sort of damage.



We went through the beach to get to Galveston, so we stopped by the cabin to show the kids what's left. Jacob kept saying "I can't wait to climb the cabin." When I told him that there were no stairs to climb he said "that's OK, I'm a really good climber. I can get up to the floor." I said "there isn't a floor. There isn't anything." I think that they were wondering why we haven't been down there to clean things up so that we can vacation there next summer. Now they know.

The boys were determined to find something that was in the cabin, it was 38 degrees when we got there and they probably would have stayed all day digging if we would have let them.

Jacob was so excited to find a plate and a remote control that he thinks is ours. It's not but we didn't have the heart to tell him otherwise so he proudly loaded it in the car and we brought it home.


He had two naps totaling an hour while we were gone. He's a trooper though and is way easier to travel with than any of the others were at this age.

No comments: