Crystal beach looks like an entirely different place now, it has a totally different feel to it. I've never seen a mess like the one that's there. It seems impossible to me that it'll ever be the same, I wouldn't even know where to start as far as cleanup goes. Unbelievable is the only word I can think of to describe it. Here are a some of the 200+ pictures that I took, I'll put some of the rest of them up on dropshots and you can go there if you want to see them. You can click on any of these pictures to make them bigger.
These are the cabins on the right of 87 as you're driving in:

965 Beaumont Drive:

I was standing on the deck of a cabin that's behind and to the left side of ours for this picture:

Looking at the porch side, the stairs would have come off to the right:

The toaster, coffee maker and I think a can opener that was on the kitchen counter. Notice that it's still plugged in:

We did manage to find some of the beds and a few other things:
What's left at a cabin that was at the end of the road:

The whole front of the bottom level of this one was ripped off....

...yet there are things neatly lined up in the cabinet and the cross is still hanging on the wall:
Probably should have taken the Jeep:
Along hwy 87:
Think they'll have any buyers?:
The flag on top of the waterslide:
Taken from the top of the waterslide looking at hwy 87:

St. Theresa's:
There are cars EVERYWHERE, half buried, upside down:
The best pizza on the beach:
The only house left standing in Gilchrist:
The fruit stand:
Here's a short video that I took while standing on the deck of the cabin that's behind and to the left of ours:
Here's a link to the rest of the pictures: Crystal Beach Pictures 10/2/08
1 comment:
Wow, been looking at photos like this for weeks now but it's still a little shocking. The buried cars make you wonder if the people made it out in time. So sorry for the loss of y'all's cabin . . . I'm glad nobody was there at the time.
Post a Comment