Not the kind of first to celebrate, but one nonetheless. Caleb woke up Sunday morning feeling pretty yucky. He was lethargic, didn't have an appetite and was refusing to turn his head to the right. The stiff neck is what had me worried, so I took him to the emergency room. Mom was working and so I called and asked for her advice, she suggested that I go ahead and bring him in. One chest x-ray (thanks Gamaw!), cat scan and examination by the doctor later, it was determined that he had an abscess on one of his tonsils. His tonsils were swollen, and that combined with the abscess was making it difficult for him to breathe. All of the swelling is what had his neck so sore. They started him on IV antibiotics and steroids and sent us up to the pediatric intensive care unit. Thankfully he responded well to all of the different medicines and the swelling went down. We were able to come home Monday afternoon.
I only had my cell phone camera (at first, I actually had Basil bring my real camera when he came - I really have issues), but of course I still took lots of pictures. ;) It was a first and all, I must have documentation.
Right after he got his IV
Wooo hooo, a cat scan!

Still in the ER when his breathing was not good:

His room in the PICU:



Feeling better Monday morning. Watching Dora and eating Cheerios:

Waiting on the discharge papers:

I think he was a really good patient. He didn't kick and scream when they put the IV in, I mean he cried but was cooperative. The only time he really kicked and screamed was when they came in to suction his nose out. He was not impressed with just how far they stuck the tubes down his nose. He got to where he would fuss anytime a nurse or doctor would look at him, but they were still able to do what they needed to do.
I must say that St. Elizabeth's PICU is awesome. The nurses that work there are wonderful and are great with kids. The decorations are bright and cheerful, there's lots for the kids to look at and they even had a playroom that I took him to play in while we were waiting to be discharged. They put a Baby Einstein movie on for him to watch and everything. The same goes for the E.R. staff, by the way. Thanks Gayle, Suzanna, Carolyn, Mike, Paul, Talanna and Leah - you guys are awesome! I can't say the same nice things about the decor down in the E.R., but the people are fantastic. ;) Thanks also to Dr. Fontenot, Dr. Rafiq and Dr. Stafford, even though you scared the piss out of me with the intubation/helicopter/Texas Children's talk. Thanks Gamaw for holding his hand while they stuck him with the IV, and for holding his head during the cat scan. I'm glad you were working.
Let's not do that again!! Sheesh!!
1 comment:
I'm glad I was working & things went so well, Caleb was a great patient! We can't help our poor old decor in ER, they've been trying to re-do it since last summer, but.....hopefully eventually! We do have some awesome nurses, I'm glad they were the ones working! You handled everything just fine, even with Dr. Stafford scaring you!
Love, Mom
Post a Comment