Stories from life at the Smith House

Monday, June 28, 2010

Weekend beach getaway

Friday we loaded up Granny and Grumpy's trailer, hooked it to our car and headed to the beach for the weekend. It was our first time RV'ing it, and we REALLY liked it. Thanks so much Granny and Grumpy! We appreciate it!
**********
Here are some nature-y shots that I wanted to be at the bottom of the post, but I didn't feel like fighting with the issues that the blog has so they're at the top.






I took this one of Basil and I really like how it turned out. The kids said that he looks like a sheriff in the wild west. :)

We didn't get to the beach until about 8pm on Friday night and it was SO nice and really pretty.

Jacob showing Caleb a butterfly that he caught and put in a container.

There was lots of seaweed on the beach and they had a blast shaking it out to see what they could find. LOTS of crabs, some shrimp and a few fish!

Damn that ice cream truck and it's tinkling music.





The mud queen of Texas.

Real cowboys wear pink.

"What? I wasn't eating sand."

"I wouldn't do that because it's gross and it would get stuck all on my tongue. Yuck!"

Sweet Jo.

A totally different kind of "say no to crack" public service announcement.


Going off to see what he can catch.

Sweet Jake.

"What?! We get to stay another night?!"

I love what the humid beach air does to his pretty red hair. His pretty red ear is courtesy of the sun and a not so thorough sunscreen spraying mother.

We roasted marshmallows Saturday night. Again with the pink. Sometimes you run out of shirts and have to wear your sisters, that's just the way it is.




After marshmallows we did a few sparklers.


Jacob and Jonah patrolled the area around this seaweed sandbar to see what poor creatures were getting washed up and stranded.

Just because he's so sweet:

Jacob's "big" catch of the day. It didn't have any claws (or eyeballs by the time Caleb was finished but that's a whole 'nother story) so they got to examine him pretty closely.

Jacob putting a little hermit crab in Caleb's hand:

"Look bwuder! It's a cuhwab!"


Jonah throwing crackers to the seagulls:

As we were leaving, I noticed that Emily had written something on the cement with charcoal. "Emily - rock on!"

The best part of the journey home:

1 comment:

Phlip said...

Great shots Nikki!!