Stories from life at the Smith House

Sunday, November 22, 2009

It's starting...

...but not with the kid I thought it'd be. A recent conversation with Emmy in the car the other day:
****************
Her: Mom, is Santa real? Katie and Maddy said that he's not.
Me: Do you believe that he is?
Her: Yes.
Me: Who do they think brings them all of their gifts?
Her: I dunno. Maybe their Mom and Dad.
Me: Well that's sad that they don't believe.
****************
End of conversation. Move on to another topic. I thought FOR SURE that it would be Jacob and Jonah questioning this by now, they're 8 afterall. She's such a smart girl, not that they're not smart but she questions things that they don't. All along I've hoped that when the boys realize that we've been yanking their chain for 8 years, they'd keep the secret to themselves and not ruin it for her. It may be the other way around! I think I'll just use Mom's approach and tell them that if they don't believe they won't get anything. Then we'll never have to talk about it. ;)

1 comment:

Shari said...

Sharp girl.

When we hit that point we talked about how much we all like to pretend Santa is real, and how we use Santa to remind us about the spirit of joy and giving. Now J & G get mad at other kids on the school bus who refuse to pretend he is real. I'll take that, if I can't have them believing longer. :)