Stories from life at the Smith House

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Bye bye birdie!

UPDATE: Today when I went outside to get into the car, I heard a very familiar tweeting. Surely not, I thought. Sure enough, I looked over and there stood Junior by the garage door. I looked over and said "what in the world are you doing?" The thing proceeded to hop right over to where I was, hop up on to a bike and then into my hand when I held it out. Seriously, any advice would be greatly appreciated. The boys are thrilled. Me, not so much.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Original post:
Meet Junior (Jacob named him). This is what he looked like when they brought him home:


Jacob would dig for worms and then cut them up to feed him. EW! I stuck with soggy dog food.
This is what he looked like after a week:


We tried to let it go yesterday with not much luck.


It pretty much just hopped around and followed the boys wherever they went.


We (they) decided to bring it back to the garage and wait one more day.

Last night I went out into the garage and the bird proceeded to fly out of it's box, land on my boobs and chirp for food. I screamed like a little girl, came inside and slammed the door and told Basil (who was laughing his ass of) that it HAD to go.

So today we tried again and the bird did what it was supposed to and flew up into a neighbors tree. YAY!



The boys got all concerned and just HAD to climb up there with it.



Jonah got more than he bargained for when he got up into the tree. The bird flew down off of it's branch and proceeded to try and peck him to death. I stood and took pictures while he cried. Oh please. It's not that mean. I told them not to get up there in the first place and it's not like it really hurts when it pecks, it's a little thing for crying out loud. It just scared the crap out of him and I thought it was a little funny. You'd have laughed too, don't lie.



So the bird is gone! WOOOOO HOOOOO! It flew to a few more trees before they finally got tired of sitting and watching it. Jacob and Jonah are totally upset but they'll get over it. Basil took them to Dairy Queen tonight to drown their sorrows in ice cream.


See ya later Junior. Have a nice life, buh bye now.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

All I can say is you have raised two amazing boys if they are willing to do all that for a little bird.You should be proud.
I envy you right now.